It’s Thanksgiving day and while I watch the Macy’s parade bundled up in my mom’s Snuggie with a hot mug of coffee to my left, magazines in my lap and the air filled with warming scents of a stuffed turkey in the oven, I can’t help but think about everything I’m thankful for. Here are 5 of the things I’m most thankful for (outside of friends, family and free speech).
1) Well-written feature journalism: I’m not sure why it took me this long to subscribe to Marie Claire, but I’m thankful for my latest subscription decision because of writing like this “A bombshell of a girl, I would say Lively is like a tall, frosty glass of milk—but when you take a sip, you realize that the milk has bourbon in it.” I usually find quotes like that, that I fall in love with, when I’m reading NYT articles. And I usually link you to them, kind of like this. So follow the link and read the entire December cover story here. Along the same lines, I’m thankful for the NYT, Elle and Teen Vogue.
2) Ed2010: This website, courtesy of some of the indrustries most generous editors, is God’s gift to anyone pursuring a magazine gig. There isn’t a day that goes by that I’m not enlightened by a piece of Ed’s wisdom. Whether he’s giving me information on internships (you better believe my desk is covered in post-its with information on who to send what for the different magazines I’m interested in interning for – all thanks to you, Ed!) or giving me tips for freelance writing, I follow Ed all the time. We’re tweeps. (Follow me @schmitzey)
3) Style.com: Since I’m not yet a magazine editor, I don’t get invites to the fancy runway shows during fashion week, so I improvise and make do with style.com. The website updates daily during each season’s shows. When I was approached and asked to write the fashion week article earlier this fall I wanted to make sure I stayed on top of the story, rather than procrastinate. That meant staying up until style.com loaded the most recent shows and reviewing fashion week daily on La Vie en Vogue, my former blogging home. In addition to bringing runway shows to my life, style.com’s Style File is another fashion blog I frequent. I wish the writing in Vogue could be a little bit more reflective of the writing that “the online home of Vogue” provides.
4) OPI nail polish: OPI nail polish makes me happy if nothing else in my life is going well. All I have to do is choose a color from the cupboard in my bathroom and paint either my fingernails or toes. I make a point to buy one color from each new collection the geniuses at OPI put out. Even if it’s not from the most recent Espana collection, right now my favorite is Lincoln Park After Dark.
5) Pandora Radio:Pandora is perfect for college students, because I can’t afford all of the music I want to own. iTunes is great and all, but I only have a finite amount of music, but with Pandora I can listen to all of the Regina Spektor, Kate Nash, Lilly Allen, Ben Folds, Joseph Arthur, Ingrid Michaelson, Meiko and others that serenade me on my Regina Spektor station. Most of my creative genius (ahem, blog posts like this one) comes along while I’m listening to Regina and company.